Performance between Windows and Linux

Hello All,

I am very surprised that there is 10 times difference between performance of Windows and Linux versions of Scilab for a particular script.

The script is here: https://pastebin.com/6FVL5K27

The difference between Win and Linux is that Linux is 10 times faster, so the script takes dozen of seconds on Linux and over few minutes on Windows.

Has anyone observed such a problem and know why there is such difference?

Scilab 14-06-19, 8:57 p.m. pbies

[Note: please paste your scilab script here for ease of answering your question]

It is difficult to answer this outright. Here are some possibilities:

1. As your script has many plot commands, it is possible that the graphical interface to show the plot may be taking more time. When comparing on two platforms, please avoid graphical commands (like plot).

2. You may print the time difference at several points in the script. This will help you in identifying which part of the program is slow.

3. Please check if all other programs have been stopped. Any program actively running in the background can cause scilab to slow down.

As such, there should not be a significant difference between windows and linux.

14-08-19, 12:04 p.m. sunilshetye
It is not case of: 1. plot commands 2. yes, I've used tic & toc and this does not change the time of the script execution 3. yes, it is clear system with only Scilab.

There is huge difference between Linux and Windows versions and it is very strange.

Before posting please try the script on both systems. Thanks.

14-08-19, 7:38 p.m. pbies
I have downloaded the toolbox for linux and found out that the toolbox was not getting loaded properly. Because of the error, it appeared to run faster on linux. This problem is the filenames are case-sensitive in linux. These were the commands run for linux:

cd contrib/ANN_Toolbox/0.5/etc
mv ANN_toolbox.start ANN_Toolbox.start
mv ANN_toolbox.quit ANN_Toolbox.quit
sed -i 's/ANN_toolbox.start/ANN_Toolbox.start/' ANN_Toolbox.start

After these fixes, restart scilab. Load the ANN toolbox again. Check that there are no errors while loading now. The script should now take the same time as it takes on Windows.

16-08-19, 3:07 p.m. sunilshetye

Login to add comment

Log-in to answer to this question.