Problem creating a checkbox uicontrol

the following code creates an array of checkboxes, labels and edit boxes in a frame inside a figure. The frame handle is stored in the structure field lsqfrm.fh. Tthe checkboxes are not grouped. If I comment out the code to create the checkbox the rest of the code runs ok. I have tried supplying the frame handle as the first parameter to the uicontrol as well as specifyning it explicitly as the parent as shown. When I use the handle as the first entry I get the error message "uicontrol: Wrong type for input argument #1: String expected". If I use the form shown below the error message is "uicontrol: Wrong type for input argument #1: A 'Figure' or a 'Frame uicontrol' handle expected." I have paused the code before creating the checkbox and checked the validity of the frame handle and its parent figure handle. Anyone have any ideas?

for i=1:size(paramarray,2)
    //checkbox
    uicontrol("parent",lsqfrm.fh...
        ,"Style","checkbutton"...
        ,"position",[lsqfrm.labx,lsqfrm.guih1,lsqfrm.bw,lsqfrm.bh]...
        ,"Callback_Type",2...
        ,"Callback","SelectParam("+string(i)+")"...
        ,"Max",1,"Min",0,"Value",0,...
        ,"BackgroundColor",[0.3,0.3,0.3]...
        ,"ForegroundColor",[1,1,1]...
        ,"Tag",tagarray(i)+"_chk"...
        ,"TooltipString","Check to include "+paramarray(i)+" in the LSQ fit");
    //checkbox label

Scilab 09-09-21, 5:17 p.m. DaveC49

I can create checkboxes elsewhere in a different part of my code. The only difference here is that the code is in a function and within a for loop in that function. Has me confused. Scilab6.1.1 on Linux Mint 20.

10-09-21, 6:15 a.m. DaveC49

Finally solved the problem . Seems to be associated with breaking the code out onto separate lines using "..." to indicate a new line. This worked OK for most other controls but not the checkbox. Will check it out further and put a bug report in when I can make it consistent.

11-09-21, 6:55 a.m. DaveC49

Login to add comment

You actually need just one callback for the checkboxes. Since you are creating your GUI "programmatically" (that is not with GUIDE) you can modify your code as follows: change the code for the creation of the axes as follows
handles.axes=axes('Units', 'Pixels','tag','axes_tag','Position',[25 25 N-200 M-50]);
that is define the property tag, you will use it in the checkbox callaback; the tag of a uicontrol might be used with the function findobj to access to that uicontrol change the defionition of the checkbox as follows
   handles.check{ii}=uicontrol('style','checkbox','string', ...
      ['Display_file_' num2str(ii)],'tag',['c_b_' num2str(ii)], ...
      'position',[N-150 M/2-ii*20 100 25],'callback','plot_sel_cb(handles.axes)');
15-09-21, 2:31 p.m. Armijo559

Thanks Will give it a try.

16-09-21, 2:40 a.m. DaveC49

Login to add comment

Log-in to answer to this question.