Moment Connection For H to H beam

I'm using Odsag Software it was Very Good.

In Moment Connection for H to H Beams in Multi Story building we cannot avoid Back to back connections in Web, in that case How to we provide Stiffners as the Same web was for Two end plates of each each beam.

Thanks in advance.

Sai Kiran.

Osdag 20-04-21, 11:57 a.m. SaiKiran

Dear Osdag user,

Thanks, for trying the Osdag software!

With regard to your query, could you please elaborate it further and clearly as the above issue is not very clear. If possibe try to use a 2D drawing/reference image to explain the same.

Thank you.

20-04-21, 12:22 p.m. Osdag-admin

Thank you Sir for consedering, here I'm attached reference Drawing. In this picture B1 & B2 connect to Flange of H beam while B3 & B4 need to connect to Web either connections should have End plate in that case sharing bolt in Double Shear. In this type how to strengthen our connection by using any cross or Horizontal stiffners. Thanks in advance, Sai Kiran.
20-04-21, 12:44 p.m. SaiKiran

Dear Osdag User,
To answer your question, we need to look into the feasibility of on-field fabrication and erection of the connection. If you look into the erection sequence, you will know that the columns are erected first and then the beams are connected to the columns. This creates difficulty in maneuvering the beam in case of Beam to Column-web connection as the flanges would come in the way. To resolve the problem, generally a dummy built-up beam is connected to the column (called as 'stub') with a end plate on the open end. This smaller beam projecting from the column (stub), is usually welded to column on all sides. The original beam (with end plate) is then connected to the end plate of the stub, with bolts. This can be designed with the beam-beam end plate connection.
It resolves two problems, firstly the beam is no longer required to be placed inside the column flanges. and secondly, the flanges of this stubs (dummy flanges) can be designed to act as the stiffeners. These dummy flanges can be used as stiffeners against the forces coming from beams in both the horizontal directions.
I am attaching an images for better understanding. Hope this helps!
Thank you
21-04-21, 11:42 p.m. Sourabh

Top view of the connection, The location of the end plate is determined from design feasibility point of view.
21-04-21, 11:44 p.m. Sourabh

Sorry for the delay in reaching your comment. Thank you very much for your explanation Sir, I'm done with the same type please have a look and let me know Sir if anything I need to improve.
07-05-21, 5:16 p.m. SaiKiran

Sir, Connection from Column to B1 was done by end plate attaching the picture.
08-05-21, 5:49 p.m. SaiKiran

And connection between Column and Beam B2 in minor axis is done by Extra Dummy beam with extra wide flanges between Column Flages attaching the picture. Please share your views
08-05-21, 5:51 p.m. SaiKiran

Log-in to answer to this question.